Choirs in Yorkshire
With a huge range of opportunities in Leeds, Bradford, Keighley, Huddersfield, Halifax, Wakefield and Pontefract, our choirs offer the very best in musical training and enjoyment for children and young people.
Leeds International Organ Festival
Every year during May, June and July, we bring together some of the world’s leading performers and teachers in a dazzling variety of public concerts and support for organ students in educational workshops.
Leeds Cathedral’s six choirs are amongst the finest in the UK with numerous recordings and BBC broadcasts. Places are available for children aged 7-18 and scholarships for university students in conducting and organ.
The Singing Programme works with a great range of schools and children, often providing a focus and inspiration for young people in the less afluent parts of West Yorkshire. The choirs are open to all for audition, irrespective of denomination or school attended. We strive to ensure that all children are offered the same educational and social benefits through choral singing at the highest possible standard. Some achievements include:
- Over 3500 children involved each week
- 53 schools receiving weekly tuition from Cathedral Choral Directors
- Six boys and six girls choirs in Leeds, Huddersfield, Bradford, Pontefract and Wakefield.
- In excess of 20,000 individual children involved in the programme since 2007
- 43 BBC radio and television broadcasts since 2005; Nine CD recordings; Regular Choral, Organ and Orchestral Concerts
- A groundbreaking choir school project in Chapeltown