Laura Steelyard, Assistant Director of the Schools Singing Programme, runs a comprehensive music programme at Holy Rosary and St Anne’s Primary School in Chapeltown. As Leeds Cathedral Choir School, music is an integral part of the school’s daily life.
The Choir School offers:
- Whole-class choral singing for every child, from Nursery to Year 6
- A comprehensive music curriculum
- Singing assemblies which focus on music as a part of the Liturgy
- After-school choirs, with separate groups for KS1 and KS2 children
- Singing lessons
- Whole-class melodica tuition and piano lessons as part of our Keyboard Studies Programme
- Opportunities for high-level musical performances within and beyond school
The young singers at Holy Rosary contribute to the school’s two parish churches, Holy Rosary and Leeds Cathedral, with pupils singing regularly at Mass and giving other performances in the buildings.
The school’s October 2023 Ofsted inspection recognised the impact of the Schools Singing Programme in the school: ‘Pupils benefit from the high standard of choral singing that comes from being the choir school for Leeds Cathedral.’
‘I feel like I’m in a magical beautiful place; I can express myself when I’m singing. If we didn’t sing, school would just feel like nothing … it would be like a blank piece of paper.’
Year 5 student
Twitter feed is not available at the moment.